Sunday, April 1, 2012

A New Workspace {Or A New Desk}

Most of you know me pretty well, so you know that my Etsy shop is pretty important to me. It was a whim of a hobby that I quickly decided to turn into a business. For a long time it didn't make any money at all. But all of a sudden, my little hobby turned into, what I would call, a part-time business. Heck, I even started to turn a profit! I only make a couple of hundred dollars per month but that's enough to warrant me having a pretty cool workspace (even if it's in my unfinished basement)!

So, let the makeover begin!

Here is a before shot of my desk:

My desk was actually a vanity that I bought in San Diego and it was tiny. It was always messy (because I like to create more than clean) and I could never find anything. On the plus side, there were a lot of drawers but they were pretty shallow.

When we moved to Colorado my business took off (probably because I had left my friends behind in SD) so Matt and I started a hunt for a new desk - looking only at garage sales since we knew that my business couldn't support buying brand new furniture. One day we found this desk:

An old wooden desk that pretty much resembles a desk that Matt had as a teenager. It was quite beat up but $20 for a very solid wooden desk was a great deal!

So, my boys got to work...

(This was taken this past November - Ethan looks so much smaller!)

...and created this:

Isn't it pretty and huge?! Matt sanded down the legs since they were uneven and he painted the whole thing white.

But wait! It actually has a feature! Let me show you...

Ta-da! The side door opens and holds a hidden shelf that's on a hinge so you can pull it up to work. I have one of my die cut machines on it.


When I'm done, I can hide it away! No muss no fuss! Pretty cool right?!


This is only the first of two desks that Matt is making me. The second one is half way done and I'm very excited to show you my whole studio space when it's complete.

Oh, and for of those of you who think my new desk looks messy - it's not! This is super clean!!

No comments: